Skip to main content

Lonely At The Top


I have been reading a devotional and there is a series I just finished that was titled “growing into leadership”. One of the days it referenced verse 1 Corinthians 3:9 it addressed the issue of us all being laborers together. Have you ever heard the phrase “it is lonely at the top”, which is what the devotion portion addressed.
Being a leader doesn’t have to be lonely and the bible verse is correct in that we are all in this together. Each person has a role to play whether you are a leader or a follower you have a role that is just as important as the next person.
It doesn’t have to be lonely at the top. Some leaders make it that way by ignoring those around them and by alienating others by not including them or asking for their help or expertise.
I believe that each one of us have been given gifts. Those gifts work in unison with each other to make a successful project, business or event. It gets lonely when the leader doesn’t realize that they have helpers, people who are experts in certain areas and they can help make it successful. When a leader tries to do it themselves they fail to recognize the gifts that surround them they won’t find success and it will be lonely.
Next time you hear a leader say it is lonely at the top tell them it doesn’t have to be. Ask them if they have tapped into the gifts of those around them. Ask them if they interact with their followers.
Are you a leader and are you lonely. If so start relating to those around you and tap into the gifts that they have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...