Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Waiting Game


I am deviating from my series to discuss something I like to call “The Waiting Game”. Today I had a doctor appointment at 9:30 I didn’t get out of there until 11 and it was just for a simple follow-up appointment. I didn’t get called back until about 9:45 then after an initial visit I sat again waiting for a room for about a half hour.
Why is it that when you go to the doctor’s office their time becomes more important than your time. They act as if you have nothing else to do that day than to sit in their office. Real leaders manage their time and delegate duties to others so they can manage their time.
I do believe doctors are leaders but they it seems that they do not have a gift of time management. Time management is an important aspect of being a leader without it leaders will find themselves struggling to lead because they won’t be able to manage their time correctly.
Time is valuable and I found myself wondering today why at a doctor’s office their time becomes more valuable. If they came into my business and I made them wait for a half hour to forty-five minutes they probably wouldn’t do business with me anymore. I could change doctors but sometimes that is not an option.
If you are a leader and running a business or department don’t play “The Waiting Game” it will only hurt your business or your reputation. Be a leader and manage your time and value the time others are giving you.

No comments: