Monday, October 08, 2012

Rigid Requirements


Have you ever closely read job descriptions? They are always full of what they want you to do and what they expect you to have to be able to be competent in the job. As I thought about these more I got thinking about whether they are precise requirements or just suggestions.
Here is why I think they should be requirements. Most companies or positions are always looking for an “outside the box” thinker. Someone who will push the envelope and make things happen. Yet in their job description they are steadfast in their requirements. Instead of practicing what they preach they keep their rigid ideals for their perfect candidate and then try to make that candidate into something they are not when they get hired.
What I would like to see is more and more companies looking beyond their rigid requirements and really finding a person who best fits the job description. I once worked as the director of a learning center and I hired staff. You might think the best candidates would be licensed teachers. All of the elementary teachers I interviewed couldn’t pass my tests so they didn’t know the math. However, on a trip to California I met on the plane a senior in high school in the district my learning center was located. I told her when she got back to give me a call and I would have a job for her. She blew the math tests away and worked very well with all the kids. I didn’t stick to the thought of having a licensed teacher and I found a great employee.
I hope companies can start to think outside their own box and avoid the rigid restrictions they put on their job descriptions. If they do I think they will be hiring competent engaged employees who can do jobs the company may not have thought they could do.

No comments: