Saturday, November 10, 2012

Brain or Hands


Today I am going to write a little bit about leisureship. It is a way leaders can break from their leadership role and relax on the weekend or in the evenings. Today I had the pleasure of tearing up a carpet in our basement. The basement is flooded and I need to get the stinky wet carpet up and out.
You might say to yourself that doesn’t sound like a lot of leisure. It really isn’t too much leisure but it is different than the normal leadership. Sometimes doing manual work if it is different than what you normally do can give you a sense of satisfaction.
I didn’t finish but got a major sense of satisfaction from finishing what I did accomplish and that is relaxing for me. I like getting in there and fixing or renovating things I might not be the best at it but I like working with my hands sometimes because it is a break from the brain work I do.
If you are one of those leaders who does brain work for a living then find something opposite of brain work to help you relax on those weekends. Here are a few:

·         Renovate

·         Paint

·         Play music

·         Be athletic

If you are one of those leaders who works with your hands for a living then find something opposite of physical work to help you relax on those weekends. Here are a few:

·         Do a puzzle

·         Read a book

·         Watch an educational program

·         Solve some math problems (That’s right for fun, I do it all the time).

Find what works for you to relax and do it so you can be refreshed for the leadership week ahead.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I'm sorry to hear the basement flooded, but glad you got some renovation therapy! :) and now you get to start over and pick out new flooring!