Thursday, August 23, 2012

Praise not Blame


Yesterday I started a series where I post a leadership quote and then discuss. Today I am posting my second quote. I also would love to have your analysis of the quotes that I post.

Today’s quote:

 "I praise loudly. I blame softly." (Catherine the Great, 1729-1796.)

A short and sweet quote, that I think sums up leadership in a nutshell. This whole year I have been writing often that leadership is about people and how you treat them. As this quote says praise the people loudly. Let others know that you appreciate what they do and how they do it. If there is a problem and things go wrong the leader needs to be quiet about it. Talk softly and in private to those who are to blame.

A leader doesn’t want others to perceive there is a problem on the ship. Blame and problems are kept quiet but resolved. It is important that you sweep the problems under the rug but instead address them quietly and resolve them.

Instead a leader wants everyone to see a ship sailing smoothly in the water. Loud praise helps lift the spirits of those on the team and it also sends a message to others of unity and clear sailing.

Follow these two simple principles and you will find your leadership sailing smoothly through the water of life.

No comments: