Thursday, August 30, 2012

Who Needs Enemies?


Today I want to talk about the word enemies. This is one of the “5 common words that create failure” an article found on Inc.com. These are five words that should not be in the vocabulary of a leader. Leaders need to avoid these words and they will be better off in their leadership journey.
Today we are on the second word, enemies. In leadership there is no place for enemies. Competition yes, but not enemies. Competition will help build character, help you work harder and help you create a network. Enemies cause divisiveness and animosity and will eventually lead to loss of your leadership expertise.
Last year I ran for a Division Governor role within Toastmasters. It was a contested race so I had to run against someone else. I didn’t win but instead of being upset and holding a grudge toward the person who beat I extended my services to help in any way I can to make the division a successful one.
This type of gesture will go a lot further than making enemies. I have had now an opportunity to build my leadership skills because of it and next time I run more people will remember me and I will hopefully win next time I run.
Leaders don’t create enemies they create a network of friends and partners that will help them and others be successful leaders. Be a leader not an enemy

No comments: