Sunday, April 22, 2012

What Are You Running For?

In life there are many things you can run for. You can run for an office, you can run for your life and you can run for your health. This weekend as you relax from running your business or department take some time to think of ways your can run that will relax you.

Once you figure out what you want to run for spend sometime this weekend doing so. It is a great way to relax and take your mind off of the leadership responsibilities you have at work.

I have been spending some time looking at two things I want to run for. Sure might think the first one really isn't a break from leadership and you would be right. The difference is that it is a hobby of mine but it also helps me to improve my leadership.

I spent this morning at the District 6 Toastmasters Convention. I spent it there as a candidate for a Division governor position. I decided to run for an office. How it works at the convention is quite the experience. You spend some time in the candidates forum answering questions supplied by the audience. Then during the business meeting if the office you seek is contested you must give a 2 minute speech on why you should be voted in. It was a great experience and I probably will run again. I didn't win this time.

Now on to the next thing I am thinking of running for. At work we are starting a program called couch to 5k in 8 weeks. To get in shape I am considering participating in this and then after 8 weeks I will be able to run a 5k, gulp!

My question to all of you on this weekend of leisureship. What are you running for? Find it and run with it. Most of all get the support and encouragement of those around you. Hopefully once you decide what it is you are running for you will find it is relaxing.

No comments: