Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers Day Tribute

Father’s day is a tough day. It is difficult for two reasons. The first is that my father is gone so it is a day that I can look back on the times I had with my dad, though I will be unable to spend any time with him until I see him in heaven. Those times I remember are always good. My dad worked very hard to provide for his family. Ever since I can remember he worked two jobs. Despite him working two jobs he still had time to spend with me. I remember as a child riding in the car with him to the post office and bank every Sunday night. We would sing and talk together, I really cherished those days. He also instilled a positive work ethic and in my adulthood I saw a strong spiritual side to my dad. I remember as he got close to the end of his time on earth he didn’t pray for himself but prayed for all of his grandkids. He loved his kids and he loved his grandkids.

The second reason it is tough is because of my kids. I have five and I love each of them so much.  The younger three I get to see and enjoy on a daily basis but the older are grown and off in other locations. I will get the phone call or the message from them but gone are the days of hanging out with them. I remember a number of years ago my oldest came over and surprised me by taking me to a Twins game. I really enjoyed that surprise.  As the other three get older and may be away from home I will get the phone call from them as well. Hearing any of their voices brings a smile to my face.
For the two difficult reasons that make Father’s day tough there are hundreds of reason that make it great. Children are a gift from God and it is our role as Fathers to enjoy and cherish every second we have with them. They grow up quick and if you blink you will miss all of the great moments. Here is just one thing for each of my children that every time I do or think of these items it reminds me how special each one of you are.
Melissa – Baseball, for all the games we watched and your first words of Kirby Puckett. Keep up your love of baseball it is the greatest sport.
Megan – Math, for your extreme intelligence in this discipline. It is what will help you be a great doctor. Don’t ever sell yourself short on what you can accomplish.
Emma – Art, for that wonderful artistic ability you didn’t get from me. It reminds me of my dad every time I see your art work. Keep drawing.
Sophie – Swimming, for all those strokes I watch you take, they exhaust me. What do you want to accomplish in swimming, reach for that goals.
Brady – Zelda, for those times we spend playing the greatest video game. You are a great help at finding the bugs and the poes. I would have used t-ball but Melissa was my first t-ball player.
Happy Father’s day to all the dads out there.

No comments: