Saturday, June 23, 2012

Civil War

I had a great idea of what I wanted to write about and then I bellied up to the computer and promptly forgot. Then as I was watching an episode of “Storage Wars” and I thought of something to write about. By that time it was too late to stay up and write so I thought I would take care of that today. I am also starting a new Sunday blog that I will begin today.

What I have always wanted to do is attend and participate in a Civil War reenactment. I think it would be fun and educational to be part of this type of experience. In researching this I actually found a website “Civil War Traveler” that gives you all the events in the country that relate to the civil war. It has everything from living histories, lectures, tours and even high tea with the women of Gettysburg. There is something for everyone.
I found one that is coming up next weekend. Of course when I go to one of these I will have to plan ahead because there aren’t too many in Minnesota. I would like to participate in one at an actual site. The one I found is in Maryland:
Living history, "Union Artillery at Antietam," camp and demonstrations at the Antietam National Battlefield near Sharpsburg. Free with park admission.
Historic Photo of the Burnside Bridge taken by Alexander Gardner

If this is your sort of thing check out a location near you and even if you don’t participate you can view one and enjoy it. If you have already gone to one or even participated I would love to here your comments.

No comments: