Saturday, June 02, 2012

The Sky's the Limit


Today my wife and I took our son to the Blaine Anoka County Airport for a special Aviation days event.  My son has been telling everyone he wants to be an astronaut when he gets older. If he wants to fly a rocket he will have to fly an airplane. He loves airplanes and he wanted his picture taken next to each of the planes we saw.
If you have been following my blog with regularity you would know that every weekend I spend the time looking at what I call leisureship. Ways that leaders (actually anyone) can escape for the weekend.
One of those ways is to spend it at an air show or an aviation appreciation day as we did. It was a very good time we saw some old airplanes we even watched some take off. My son really enjoyed himself as he ran from airplane to airplane looking at the propellers and the wings. He even got up close to a US Army helicopter that had a mounted machine gun.

My son and I in front of one of the planes
There were Navy planes, Mail planes, planes from the 20s and 30s. There were stories for each one except the planes that were outside and owned and flown by people. When we watched one taxi and take off it was fun watching him crank the propeller and then literally right in front of us start moving and taxi onto the runway. You could also purchase a helicopter ride.
If you are looking for something to do take your family to an air show or and aviation event. The cost was very minimal; it was free to walk around. Of course buying items to eat costs money but it is a good time.
One day my son will take me up in one of those planes.

No comments: