Monday, July 23, 2012

Seven Habits

It is time for adding another legend of leadership. This is an intermittent series that I will be doing whenever I discover or determine someone should be put on my legends of leadership list. I really want to make this a series that my readers can embrace and nominate people for admittance into the Legends of Leadership Hall.

Back in the early 90s I had an opportunity to take a workshop that included this man’s greatest book, “The Seven Habits ofHighly Effective People”. I learned a lot in that workshop and it was my first exposure to leadership. That is why Stephen Covey is the next entrant into the legends of leadership.
Unfortunately on July 16th Stephen Covey died due to complications from a bicycle accident. No, you do not need to be dead to join the legends of leadership. His passing triggered in me the remembering of the impact his book had on my early leadership career and that is why he is a legend. What are his credentials?

RESUME:

·         Professor at Utah State University

·         Awarded ten honorary doctorates

·         Entrepreneur of the year lifetime achievement award

·         2003 Fatherhood Award from the National Fatherhood Initiative

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

·         Wrote “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”

·         Developed his The Leader in Me book into several education related projects.

·         Established the Covey Leadership Center which merged with Franklin Quest to become FranklinCovey

·         Created Stephen Covey’s Online Community.

His accomplishments are more than what is written above but leaders are those who influence others. Stephen Covey influenced through all of his books and everything he accomplished. There probably isn’t a leader who hasn’t been somewhat impacted by what Stephen Covey has done.

We will miss him but his books and wisdom therein will live on and impact future leaders as well.

No comments: