Skip to main content

What, Who, Why


What is leadership? Who is a leader? Why do we need people in leadership roles? Today’s blog is about answering each of those questions. You can probably find the answer to each of those questions in a number of books and blogs. Finding leadership information from different resources helps you to see leadership from different angles and different viewpoints.

WHAT…

…Is Leadership. It isn’t about the leader but about the followers. It is about what the leader can do for others. It is about the success of the followers and how that leader can energize people into following his/her vision and mission. Leadership is about people and the interaction the leader has with those people.

WHO…

…Is a Leader. Anyone can and is a leader. People are leaders in their places of work, in their places of worship and in their homes. Many people may play varying degrees of leadership roles throughout the day. For example I am a leader at home as I try to lead my children. I am a leader at work and I am a leader in Toastmasters. Leadership is within everyone but it is how you grow that leadership within you that makes the difference.

WHY…

…Do we need people in leadership roles? Without leadership the people would perish. Everyone needs someone to lead them so they have a vision and a mission. All of us have a higher calling and a higher authority to which we are accountable to. You might think a CEO doesn’t have anyone they are accountable to; they would be accountable to a board the board to the shareholders and the shareholders to the consumers. Leaders help us have vision and guide us and encourage us to reach our goals and be the best that we can be.

Over the next several days I will take each of these idea: What, Who and Why and look at what other people say about these three ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...