Skip to main content

Aquatennial

Usually I do a Friday Festival and highlight a festival from Minnesota and two other states. This week I am doing a combined Friday and Saturday look into the biggest festival of the summer in Minnesota, The Minneapolis Aquatennial. It is coined “The best days of summer” because it celebrates the City of Lakes, Minneapolis and the lakes that reside within the city.

The event is actually in its last weekend. Tonight was the fireworks, something everyone in the whole family enjoys. Besides the fireworks there are a number of other events that are fun to watch and participate in. The Torchlight parade occurred on Wednesday and that event is always a fun family event.
One event I have attended before that is a lot of fun to watch is the milk carton boat races. People and teams of people create boats from only milk cartons and then they race them in Lake Calhoun. Here is a blurb from the official Aquatennial website about the carton races.

·         An Aquatennial favorite since 1971, the annual flotilla of fun will feature several races of carton contraptions throughout the day at the Star Tribune Beach Bash! Registration is available at www.aquatennial.com. Milk Carton Boat Races Schedule: - 10 AM: Commodore’s Race: ages 19 and over - 11 AM: Skipper’s Race: cow theme race to design a bovine boat - 12 PM: Lieutenant’s Race: ages 12 and under - 1 PM: Admiral’s Race: race with a minimum of 5 crew members - 2 PM: The Best Days of Summer Race: have fun and get creative! The more milk cartons the better- 3 PM: 'Celebrating 73 Years' Race: watch as the Aquatennial races against the Saint Paul Winter Carnival in this annual tradition! - 3:30 PM: Awards Ceremony
Courtesy: Richard Westley Wong

There were water ski exhibitions on the Mississippi river, Beach bashes, and ice cream socials among many other fun events. I grew up in Minneapolis and went to a number of these events as a child. Next year when the event rolls around again take some time to enjoy the lakes the fill the city of Minneapolis.

This year is water under the bridge so until next year, we wait until the water freezes in St Paul for the Winter Carnival.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...