Sunday, May 27, 2012

Paddle Away


Memorial Day, is the unofficial start of summer. School is almost out the weather is heating up and more and more people are looking for things to do outside. Families are looking for trips to take and things to do as a family.
As a leader looking for a way to relax on the weekend or during your vacation why not go canoeing. I really enjoy canoeing. When I worked as a counselor at a summer camp oh so many years ago I used to teach intermediate canoeing. Every Friday I would take the campers across the lake to the Sibley State Park building and they would buy candy. It was a fun treat and a fun time.
Canoeing is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and the many streams and rivers that exist. One year when I taught 8th graders we had an end of the year canoe trip and we would take the students down the St. Croix River.
I also remember when I was in 8th grade going into 9th grade my church took us on a canoe trip in the BWCA. This is the place you really get to experience canoeing. You get to experience the fun of a portage and the opportunity to canoe on crystal clear lakes along the Canadian border.
Find some time to take your family on a short day canoe trip or better yet spend a week in the BWCA experiencing the greatest canoeing experience ever.

I would love to hear your canoe stories.

No comments: