Skip to main content

Two Rules to Change

As I sat and watched the Rodgers led Packers dismantle the hapless Vikings last night I was struck by the fact that the NFL has no clue how to write or enforce rules of the game.

A rule is defined as a principle or regulation governing conduct, action, procedure. They have been created to bring some order to an otherwise chaotic world. The NFL in their infinite wisdom has created two rules that bring chaos to the game instead of order.

The first one is the excessive celebration penalty. What exactly is excessive celebration and who determines exactly what excessive celebration is? I have watched game after game of players getting called for excessive celebration for spiking the ball or dancing in the endzone. I've also seen these same things not be called excessive celebration. So what exactly is excessive celebration when it comes to a football game? In the case of the Packer Viking game I would think the infamous Lambeau leap would constitute excessive celebration, afterall the players are actually leaving the playing field and partying with the commoners.

The second rule is intentional grounding. If a QB is in the pocket he cannot throw the ball away unless there is a receiver close by but if that same QB moves outside some imaginary lines of the pocket and throw the ball away it is not called intentional grounding. Who thought of this one! Throwing the ball away is throwing the ball away whether you are in the pocket or not. In the game last night Rodgers clearly threw the ball away with nary a receiver in sight but didn't get called either time because he supposedly was outside of the pocket.

It is time to change these and other NFL rules. My proposal if they insist on having excessive celebration then anything aside from handing the ball to a ref constitutes excessive celebration. Or just do away with this stupid rule. As for intentional grounding. Define it better, if the QB throws the ball away even out of bounds it is intentionally grounding regardless whether they are in the pocket or not.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Comments

Mel said…
I think you're talking like a lawyer... :)

I think the excessive celebration rule was brought about with good intentions - to keep players from obscene, lewd or disrespectful behavior in celebration. After all, we want athletic events to be family environments. Nevertheless, the rule is not clearly defined and certainly needs more specific guidelines if it is to be followed. I fail to see the difference between Jerod Allen "hog-tying" after a QB sack and the "Lambeau Leap." As you said, if one is excessive, certainly so is the other. But banning either seems to be pretty unnecessary if the purpose is curtailing the aforementioned "bad" behavior.

As for intentional grounding. That rule is just stupid. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...