In just a few short weeks the kids will be heading back to school. I head back on Monday. I'm a teacher and with school just around the corner I want to reflect on those days of anticipation when we made that pilgrimage back to school.
As a teacher heading back to school is excitement (at least for me). A chance to see a new batch of kids, teach a subject you love (math), and interact with colleagues. As parents it was great to get the kids back to a regular routine and done telling you they are bored. I'm sending one off to college so he won't even be around, it will be different being an empty nester.
Kids heading back to school was different. While it is possible we didn't mind connecting with friends, getting some new clothes, or learning something new it was that sense of rigidness that we didn't like. It was having to follow a routine. The summer was a time to be free, do what you want (within reason), play with friends, sleep in, and not eat school lunches.
For me personally my birthday always fell on the first week of school which was always a bummer. Despite my birthday technically being a summer birthday I didn't reap the benefits of a summer birthday because we were all back in school. I also didn't always get recognized at school because it was too early in the year and they hadn't worked out all the kinks yet.
Growing up in Minneapolis in the 60's and 70's we didn't have school buses to take us to school. When in elementary school we were close enough to walk so that is what we did. In my early years we even walked home for lunch and would watch Casey Jones. Once we got into Junior High and High School we took the city bus to school.
I really don't remember hating the thought of going back to school it was more the disruption to the freedom of summer that brought about the dislike. It seemed a lot less stressful back in my day than it does today. Of course we didn't have social media back then so it was our own little world that could bring us the joy and the sorrow.
I'd love to hear what my readers think about their days of going back to school.




Comments