Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Average to Superior


Today I would like to analyze another leadership quote. From time to time I list a quote and then give my interpretation of the quote.
Today’s quote is found at brainyquote.com
"Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people."
John D. Rockefeller
 
One of the biggest roles of a leader is to motivate and inspire average people how to do the work of superior people. This is a very true quote. Leaders are someone who is looked up to and sometimes even emulated. That leader needs to motivate the followers so they can reach their greatest potential.
I have been involved in Toastmasters for 7 years and when I first got into Toastmasters it was all about the communication aspect and the desire to improve my speaking ability to eventually become a public speaker. My focus has changed somewhat. I still want to be a public speaker but I really love the leadership portion of Toastmasters. It has been many of the leaders who I have met within Toastmasters who have inspired me to reach my greatest potential. It is those same leaders who have inspired me to do the work of superior people. I have never thought of myself as superior. It has been through Toastmasters that I am doing that superior work. Now I want to be a leader who will lead the next generation of Toastmasters into doing superior work in their lives.
Average can be above average and above average  can be superior. It is all a matter of motivation and inspiration from leaders who have led before you.



No comments: