Skip to main content

The Heart

     The heart is a very fragile organ, and yet it is the most important organ in the human body. Today I'm going to write about the heart.

There are a lot of phrases and idioms that have the word heart in them. Some examples of these can be found at the following webpage https://www.thoughtco.com/heart-idioms-and-expressions-1210654. I'm sure many of you have used some of these in the past, I know I have. These are fun to use and think about but how many of them actually hold truth.

The truth of the matter is that we need to take care of the heart. Treat it like the important organ it is.

A little over a year ago, I had an ablation done on my heart because my heart was in Afib for quite a while. Both of those sound scary, but they really aren't too serious. According to the Mayo Clinic, this is what an ablation is. 

Cardiac ablation is a minimally invasive procedure for atrial fibrillation (AFib) that creates tiny scars in the heart to block faulty electrical signals. It is highly effective for restoring a normal heart rhythm and improving quality of life, especially when medications fail or cause harsh side effects.


This procedure was successful for me as I have been in normal heart rhythm since. However, about a week after that procedure, I was back in the hospital with congestive heart failure. They told me this can happen after that type of procedure. Here is what congestive heart failure is.

Congestive heart failure is a long-term condition that happens when your heart can’t pump blood well enough to give your body a normal supply. Blood and fluids collect in your lungs and legs over time. Medications and other treatments help manage symptoms like swelling. Congestive heart failure is life-limiting for many.

They got the fluid out of me and put me on a low sodium diet. Everything is back to normal. So why did I write about this. The heart is so important that you need to take care of it. Make sure if you feel anything strange that you get to a doctor. Make sure to also verify if your family has a history of heart issues and stay on top of monitoring your heart and taking care of it.

Get to the heart of the matter and make sure you stay healthy. Especially as you get older.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...