Skip to main content

Art Fairs

It is the weekend and time to explore ways that leaders can relax and enjoy some leisureship. I have been spending time on Fridays looking at a numbfestivals from around the nation.  Today I am going to look specifically at art fairs.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Uptown Art Fair
August 3 - 5

Every year in the city of Minneapolis in a wonderful urban neighborhood called Uptown the Uptown Art Fair is held on the first weekend of August. I had the pleasure of volunteering at this event about 7 years ago and it was a lot of fun volunteering. I also got to view a lot of great art work, meet some great artists and enjoy the people who attended and volunteered. It is art work in all mediums so whatever your fancy you can find it at the Uptown Art Fair.

FEATURES:* Professional works of art ranging from limited editions to one-of-a-kind treasures in each of 12 media including sculpture, painting, ceramics, jewelry, mixed media, and more. Over 350 talented fine artists from around the world!
* Tomorrow’s Stars youth art fair in Calhoun Square- the future of the Uptown Art Fair
* Festival food and ice-cold beverages from over 20 vendors
* Non-stop entertainment- ranging from reggae to magic- on the performance stage located in the Old Chicago parking lot
* Wine for tasting and purchase in the newly expanded outdoor wine garden located at Old Chicago
* Interactive art activities at the Family Imagination Station
* A Culinary Arts Competition pairing up local chefs and artists to compete while creating dazzling art

Other Notable Art Fairs
New York City, New York
Parallax Art Fair
August 3 - 5

NYC will be held at New York’s Premier Event Venue, 82 Mercer. It is a direct art-to-consumer experience that makes a uniquely refreshing conceptual statement about subjectivity and the commoditization of taste. It offers an intellectual framework where visitors can dare to be themselves for a change.
Parallax Art Fair grew out of an international exhibition called Parallax that was conceived and curated by Dr Chris Barlow in London at the Royal Opera Arcade. Parallax AF London is now into its fourth edition and has exhibited object makers of every kind from all over the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...