Skip to main content

Lost Listening


Leadership is about communication. If a leader can’t communicate they can’t express their vision and others will be unable to grab a hold of the vision. There is a part of communication that is becoming a dying art. That part is listening. I have been observing and I think less people out there are good listeners.
Listening is essential to understanding the needs of others and then being able to react to those needs. This is one of the components of a great leader. However, I believe listening is becoming extinct. More people want to hear themselves speak and pontificate instead of listening and serving the needs of others.
Take some time to really observe conversations and see if I’m not right. You will listen to oneside of the conversation and the other person will then talk about something completely different. It is no longer about the other person but it is about the “me”. It has almost become a competition, can you out anecdote the other person without really listening or even speaking with value.
I like to pride myself on the fact that I am a good listener. You know you are a good listener when you know more about the person you are speaking with than they know about you. Isn’t that the best way to sell to someone? Ask them about themselves and find the product that best fits their needs.
Once you have listened and understood what was said you can communicate your plan and your vision. If you have been listening then your plan and vision will meet the people’s needs. When that happens they buy into your vision and they in turn want to listen, communicate and serve.

Be a leader, Be a listener!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...