Skip to main content

Bronze Leadership

What does it mean to be a bronze leader? As I said in yesterday’s blog I am going to add a little Olympic flair to the idea of leadership and look at what it takes to be a gold, silver and bronze leader. Today we are looking at the bronze leader. In the Olympics the difference between third and first can be a matter of hundredths of seconds or hundredths of points.

Bronze leadership isn’t bad it represents an emerging leader a leader who might make some mistakes but a leader who is working hard to be a great leader. Bronze, silver and gold leadership all represent different levels of leadership. In some parts of leadership you might be a bronze leader but in others you could be a gold leader it all depends on your reaction to the situation and your ability to lead in those situations.
What does it take to be a bronze leader?
  • A bronze leader has definite leadership ability.
  • A bronze leader makes mistakes but works hard at improving those mistakes.
  • A bronze leader is gaining respect from those around them and receiving recognition from other leaders.
  • A bronze leader is working on crafting a vision that followers can embrace.

At this year’s London Olympics Ryan Lochte a top swimmer for the USA finished third in the 200 backstroke and earned a bronze medal however in the 400IM which includes the backstroke he won the gold medal. Lochte has definite ability and is a premier swimmer but the 200 back may not be his best. Being a bronze leader requires you to do well but not perfect.
Are you a bronze leader? It is possible that you are beyond this level of leadership over the next two days we will look at silver leadership and gold leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...