Skip to main content

Servant Legend


I put a shout out to a leader group on Linkedin to see if they could nominate anyone for the Legends of leadership piece that I do. So far I have received three good suggestions. Today I am adding my next person to my list of Legends of Leadership.
It is my belief that the best type of leadership is Servant leadership. It is the highest calling of leadership it allows the leader to serve and thus lead the way that others should serve. With that in mind the latest addition to the legends of leadership is Robert K. Greenleaf (1904 – 1990). Robert Greenleaf is the founder of servant leadership although he wasn’t the first to perform this style of leadership he is the one who coined the term “servant leadership”.
Most of the following information can be found on the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership website. What does Mr. Greenleaf’s resume and accomplishments look like?

RESUME:

·         Director of Management Research at AT&T
·         Lecturer and Teacher at MIT’s Sloan School of Management, Harvard Business School, Dartmouth and University of Virginia.
·         Speaker, writer and consultant
·         President and Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

·         Published “The Servant as Leader” essay which launched the servant leadership movement.
·         Coined the term “Servant Leadership”
·         The Center for Applied Ethics was renamed the Robert K Greenleaf Center.
·         Wrote other books  on Servant Leadership

Robert Greenleaf’s legacy and legend lives on every time a leader practices servant leadership. It is through his great work in this field that we as leaders can grab a hold of a leadership style that will bring satisfaction to our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...