Skip to main content

3 Days in the Belly of the Whale


What does a leader do when they are stuck in the belly of the technology whale for three days? Over the past three days I have been without internet service. Our wireless router died and we had to order another one. It has been like being in the belly of a whale for three days. I had no contact with the outside world. I didn’t blog for three days; I know you were all wondering where I was.
What can a leader do when you don’t have technology access for three days and you have to communicate? In today’s world where our lives depend upon the technology to get the work done it can become very frustrating when that which you depend upon is unavailable. I know what you are saying; “why didn’t I go to the Library?” I could have done that. I could have stayed later at work and did some things at that time. I prefer to do that work at home because it is separate from my job.
Here are some things leaders can do to be prepared for that time when they are stuck in the belly of the technology whale.
  • Have a back-up plan – If your computer goes down do you have other means to access your important information.
  • Use more than one way to access the internet – Smart phone can be a great way to do this.
  • If your router goes down have a way to still access the internet. – Take your computer to hot spots (Caribou coffee or Starbucks).
  • Go old school – Pick up that phone or paper and either call someone or write them a note. They will be shocked!
  • Get personal – If there are some things you can do face to face do them. It always is more productive to be face to face with someone especially if you are conducting business.
  • Enjoy the opportunity not to answer emails or go on the internet.

Be prepared so you don’t have to feel like you are stuck in the belly of the whale. You don’t want to miss out on important information or a great opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...