Skip to main content

Leadership Lost


Have you ever been in a position where you feel lost? Where sometimes you are clueless to what is going on around you or worse clueless to the job you are supposed to do? Do you know of people, leaders or managers at your company who are in over their head?
Sometimes leadership is thrust upon people before they are ready and other times leaders are waiting too long to take over the reins. Today I am going to address the issue of those who have leadership thrust upon them. I have often wondered how people get put into roles of leadership when they aren’t ready.
I do believe that everyone has leadership potential but it just so happens that some aren’t ready for the responsibility of leadership until they have been trained or seasoned. Giving them smaller leadership roles is the ideal way to go instead of full responsibility. It might be that their leadership strength is in dealing with smaller roles or projects than overseeing a whole company or large group.
Leadership requires people skill and ability to do the small things while still focusing on the big picture. It is important for leaders or potential leaders to be ready for this. If you are in a position to create future leaders or mentor future leaders here are a few things to help you when working with those future leaders.
·         Work on their communication skills

·         Work on their people skills

·         Give them small opportunities to be a leader and expand as you go.

·         Give them responsibilities but not too much at first.

Over the next several days I will expand on each of these four items. Until the next time, “lead on”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...