Skip to main content

Average to Superior


Today I would like to analyze another leadership quote. From time to time I list a quote and then give my interpretation of the quote.
Today’s quote is found at brainyquote.com
"Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people."
John D. Rockefeller
 
One of the biggest roles of a leader is to motivate and inspire average people how to do the work of superior people. This is a very true quote. Leaders are someone who is looked up to and sometimes even emulated. That leader needs to motivate the followers so they can reach their greatest potential.
I have been involved in Toastmasters for 7 years and when I first got into Toastmasters it was all about the communication aspect and the desire to improve my speaking ability to eventually become a public speaker. My focus has changed somewhat. I still want to be a public speaker but I really love the leadership portion of Toastmasters. It has been many of the leaders who I have met within Toastmasters who have inspired me to reach my greatest potential. It is those same leaders who have inspired me to do the work of superior people. I have never thought of myself as superior. It has been through Toastmasters that I am doing that superior work. Now I want to be a leader who will lead the next generation of Toastmasters into doing superior work in their lives.
Average can be above average and above average  can be superior. It is all a matter of motivation and inspiration from leaders who have led before you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...