Skip to main content

Great Communicator

Ronald Reagan was known as "The Great Communicator". He knew how to explain things clearly and concisely. Do you want to be a great communicator like Reagan? Yesterday we looked at the first step to becoming a great communicator, eliminating filler words from your language. Today we look at the next step to becoming a great communicator, using the right words.

When I was in college earning my undergrad degree in math education I sat through many math lectures where the professor couldn't explain how to do the math. These were great minds and knew math like the back of their hand. They could do the problems but couldn't explain how to do the problems. The problem was they were horrible communicators and couldn't convey their message. If you want to be a true leader you need to be able to explain things so people understand.

It doesn't happen overnight it is something you really have to work at. You have to understand the person or audience and you have to know the topic. If you know both of those things you should be able to communicate effectively. The key is to be able to explain something so they will understand what you mean. If they don't understand you may have to approach it from a different angle.

Two other things you can't do if you want to be a great communicator. Talk over someones head or talk down to them.

Talking over their head they will not understand what you mean and will quickly tune you out. Talking down to someone will insult them and they won't care what you have to say because you insulted them by treating them as a child.

In conclusion: The second step to being a great communicator. Use the right words by following these four principles.
  •          Know your audience
  •          Know your topic
  •          Don't talk over your audience
  •          Don't talk down to your audience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...