Skip to main content

Servant Leadership

This week we are going to look at various leadership styles. I will look at a few that are commonplace within the leadership institution and a few unique styles. Today I want to look at Servant Leadership these won't be deep dives into the styles but more of a general overview and my opinion of the style.

The phrase “Servant Leadership” was coined by Robert K. Greenleaf in The Servant as Leader, an essay that he first published in 1970.  This is from the following webpage Greenleaf Center.  The term "Servant Leadership" has only been around since 1970 but the concept is been around since the beginning of time. Jesus was the ultimate Servant leader in that He was willing to lay down His life for others.

It is that mentality that a leader should have if they want to drive success in their followers. Servant Leadership isn't a me first leadership style. Instead it is a you first leadership style. The leader is always looking for ways to improve and grow those around him/her. They are willing to serve first and lead second. By doing this they really become a leader.

You may have heard the phrase "Do as I say not as I do". A servant leader uses the motto "Do as I do and say". Showing others how to serve is in my belief the ultimate in leadership skills. If you look at the Gospels and read about everything Jesus did it was all about serving. He healed the sick, raised the dead, fed the hungry and washed his disciples feet. He served and the more He served the larger the crowds became who followed Him.

Are you a servant leader? Are you willing to lay down your life for your followers? Do you have what it takes to be the ultimate leader, a servant leader. That is not to say all the other leadership styles are no good or don't work, because they do work. I just believe that Servant Leadership is the best way to lead a group of people. It shows you care about them and not your own special interests.

Go and find a group to serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...