Skip to main content

Make Your Own Habits


A few days ago I started a series that looked at leadership styles that were made by each individual. It isn’t one type of style but a hybrid of a number of styles that each leader makes the style their own. I listed three positive impacts and three negative impacts of creating your own style. Today I am going to look at one positive and one negative and compare them and contrast them.
Here is a positive impact:

·         Your leadership style is your own – You don’t have to fit a mold but be yourself.

Making it your own can be very beneficial because you can pick all the pieces of the styles that best fit your personality. You also don’t have to be someone you’re not. Creating your own style can really help you be a better leader because you will find success quicker because you are leading in your comfort zones.
Here is a negative impact:

·         You can create bad habits – something you think is a good leadership characteristic may actually be a bad habit and will make you a poor leader.

If you create your own style you can find yourself falling into bad habits. Since you are leaning on your own knowledge of leadership you could find yourself doing things that you think are good leadership methods but they really aren’t. You may find yourself slipping into those old habits thus creating negative leadership.
To counter the negative continue to educate yourself on your personal style. Make sure the practices you use are industry best practices so you don’t find yourself falling into bad habits. Lean on those positives and also get a mentor who you can discuss matters with.
Tomorrow we will look at two more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...