Skip to main content

Rigid Requirements


Have you ever closely read job descriptions? They are always full of what they want you to do and what they expect you to have to be able to be competent in the job. As I thought about these more I got thinking about whether they are precise requirements or just suggestions.
Here is why I think they should be requirements. Most companies or positions are always looking for an “outside the box” thinker. Someone who will push the envelope and make things happen. Yet in their job description they are steadfast in their requirements. Instead of practicing what they preach they keep their rigid ideals for their perfect candidate and then try to make that candidate into something they are not when they get hired.
What I would like to see is more and more companies looking beyond their rigid requirements and really finding a person who best fits the job description. I once worked as the director of a learning center and I hired staff. You might think the best candidates would be licensed teachers. All of the elementary teachers I interviewed couldn’t pass my tests so they didn’t know the math. However, on a trip to California I met on the plane a senior in high school in the district my learning center was located. I told her when she got back to give me a call and I would have a job for her. She blew the math tests away and worked very well with all the kids. I didn’t stick to the thought of having a licensed teacher and I found a great employee.
I hope companies can start to think outside their own box and avoid the rigid restrictions they put on their job descriptions. If they do I think they will be hiring competent engaged employees who can do jobs the company may not have thought they could do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...