Skip to main content

Make Your Weakness Strong


Today I am going to look at one more positive and one more negative about creating your own leadership style. It is important to note that all leaders don’t stick to one style and no leader is constricted to just one type of style. What I am looking at are those leaders who try to define and create their own leadership style. I identified three positives and three negatives to creating your own style. Yesterday I looked at one of each, today two more.
Here is a positive impact.
·         You can let your skill set and your leadership shine – Since you are defining your own leadership style you can focus on matching it to your skills.

Creating your own leadership style can help you to match your skill set with different aspects of leadership styles to help you become more impactful as a leader. It allows you to delegate tasks that you might not be good at thus allowing you to build the skills of those around you. It also can help you build up future leaders.
Here is a negative impact.
·         You can become too constricted – If you are only focusing on your skills and strengths you don’t have an opportunity to improve your weak areas and become a well rounded leader.

You can become too limited by only focusing on your strengths. It won’t give you an opportunity to grow as a leader. You will become stagnant in your leadership. Finding those weak areas and working on improving them will help you become a better leader. One of my daughters does competitive swimming. They have them work on all the strokes even though the butterfly is her weakness eventually working at it will help her improve it. That is what leaders need to do.
Focus on your strengths but improve your weaknesses and you will become a much better leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...