Skip to main content

The Waiting Game


I am deviating from my series to discuss something I like to call “The Waiting Game”. Today I had a doctor appointment at 9:30 I didn’t get out of there until 11 and it was just for a simple follow-up appointment. I didn’t get called back until about 9:45 then after an initial visit I sat again waiting for a room for about a half hour.
Why is it that when you go to the doctor’s office their time becomes more important than your time. They act as if you have nothing else to do that day than to sit in their office. Real leaders manage their time and delegate duties to others so they can manage their time.
I do believe doctors are leaders but they it seems that they do not have a gift of time management. Time management is an important aspect of being a leader without it leaders will find themselves struggling to lead because they won’t be able to manage their time correctly.
Time is valuable and I found myself wondering today why at a doctor’s office their time becomes more valuable. If they came into my business and I made them wait for a half hour to forty-five minutes they probably wouldn’t do business with me anymore. I could change doctors but sometimes that is not an option.
If you are a leader and running a business or department don’t play “The Waiting Game” it will only hurt your business or your reputation. Be a leader and manage your time and value the time others are giving you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...