Skip to main content

Open House


It is that time of year when students in High School and College graduate. Many of you may have students who are graduating or know someone who has a child graduating. When those graduations occur you often spend weekends in May and June attending the ceremony and/or open houses.

Here we are, another leadership weekend when you want to relax to escape the rat race of leadership. One way you can do that is by watching the future leaders accomplish their first step toward success by graduating. You may also find yourself attending an open house or maybe you are hosting one.

Sometimes the hosting becomes more stressful than the leadership duties you face on a daily basis. I am spending part of tomorrow attending my oldest daughter’s graduation ceremony from William Mitchell Law School. Huge accomplishment for her and it will be wonderful to watch my daughter receive her diploma. Fortunately we do not have to throw her an open house. That usually occurs when someone graduates from High School.

Here are some pointers for you to help relieve the stress of throwing a graduation open house. Then you can enjoy and join in the celebration of the success of the future leaders.

·         Food – Don’t go overboard or elaborate on the food. Make it easy, like a taco bar or have close family members bring a dish to share.
·         Location – If you have it in your house then you will have to spend time cleaning. Otherwise you can have it in the yard, garage or even at another facility.
·         Guests – Immediate family and close friends. No need to invite everyone.
·         Gift – Be practical and not expensive. You don’t want to stress out over money during such a great occasion.
·         Helpers – Get help with set-up and clean-up. If you can maybe there is a neighbor who also is have a child graduate. Combine efforts and share the duties.

Celebrate that graduation but don’t stress out over it. Follow these five simple steps to a stress free open house.

Comments

Frank said…
Hi,

Nice blog would you like to follow my blog

http://sportsupdate0120.blogspot.com/ I’ll do the same for you?

Thanks,

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...