Skip to main content

Culture Club

Do you remember the 80's band The Culture Club? Today's blog has nothing to do with that band. But just like a band has to work together to make the music necessary to be successful a company has to provide a culture that is consistent to create a successful atmosphere. That is where the leader comes in. Leaders within the company need to convey and communicate the culture to the people around them so everyone can understand if they are a good fit for the company or not.

Cultures may not be the same in each and every company but I believe there are some aspects of a culture that are in every company. Just like every band may play different style and type of music there are some parts of bands that are consistent across the music industry. Almost every band has a guitar, bass, drums and keyboard. What are the aspects of a business culture that is consistent throughout the business community?

  • Honesty/Integrity - Most companies want to conduct business honestly and with integrity. They want their employees to behave the same way.
  • Community - Many companies want to convey a sense of community within their organization. Providing for their employees fun events and outings that help relax the employees.
  • Volunteering - Many organizations provide their employees opportunities to volunteer. It helps create pride of accomplishment within their employees.
  • Innovation - Many companies want to create an atmosphere that allows for creativity within their employees. The company encourages innovation and outside the box thinking. This is what will help the company grow.
Next week we will lo9ok at the four listed above and examine them more closely. We will look at the role leaders and leadership plays in all of those aspects of culture. If you would like to share any aspects of culture from your company please comment and I'll add them next week.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...