Skip to main content

What is Your Kryptonite?

Let's stay with the superhero theme and talk about weaknesses that leaders might have. All leaders have strengths and weaknesses and while strengths will help you be successful weaknesses can be used to help improve your leadership.

In one of the greatest good versus evil contests in superhero stories we find Superman pitted against his arch enemy Lex Luthor. We know in every battle Superman eventually wins but it doesn't come easy. In fact, Lex Luthor knows Superman's weakness, kryptonite, and he makes every effort to get some kryptonite to render Superman's powers useless.

Do you know your weaknesses as a leader? Maybe it is communication, organization, empowerment or many other traits that just isn't one of your strengths.  Other people may know your weakness and use it against you in your role as a leader. Be sure you know your weakness so you can do something about it.

Superman knew his weakness and would avoid it at all costs. Sometimes leaders don't have the luxury to avoid their weaknesses. What can you do to make sure those weaknesses don't become your kryptonite and render your leadership useless?

  • Learn more about your weakness.
  • Hire people whose strength is your weakness.
  • Use your strengths to improve your weakness.
  • Don't try to hide your weakness, admit that it is a weakness.

Don't let that weakness become your kryptonite. Overcome it with your super powers as a leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...