Skip to main content

Expanding Your Imagination

The link I sent yesterday to Ron Edmondson's blog about the 5 aspects of the heart of a leader had five great aspects. We will spent the next five days unpacking each of those aspects to see how you can change your heart or if you have the heart to be a leader.

5 Aspects of the Heart of a Leader

Leadership isn't for the weak of heart. It is for those who have a heart for people and leading others to success. Today's aspect is Imagination.  It is the imagination to dream big and to fulfill those dreams. It is the imagination to think outside the box. The imagination to dream of ways to do things differently, use your imagination to accomplish great things. Mr. Edmondson used the story of Joseph who was a dreamer to illustrate all of the aspects. As Mr. Edmondson said Joseph saw the big picture and he also dreamed big.

Let's take it a step further. Imagination is about dreaming and dreaming big but it is also about having a vision and creating a mission to meet those dreams. Dreams are just dreams unless they can come to life. Think about those years when you were a child and you found yourself daydreaming about being the hero or traveling in space. Those were dreams and maybe some came true and some didn't. For those dreams that came true what was it that made them come true?

For me I always wanted to be a professional baseball player. That was a dream that never came true, why, because I didn't have the talent and I didn't have a vision that I was willing to work toward. On the other hand I had a dream to be a teacher and help children find success in mathematics. That was a dream that came true because I had a vision for success and I worked the plan to completion.

As a leader is there something you are dreaming about doing? Don't let it be just a dream. Dream big and create a vision and a mission for your dream and then work hard to accomplish and complete your dream. Make your dream become a reality and use your imagination to dream even bigger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...