Skip to main content

Get The Picture

The weekend is here again and it is time to work on your leisureship. It is time to relax and get away from the stress and responsibility of leadership and do something you enjoy. Maybe that something is photography. Perhaps you are an amateur photographer and love getting outside and taking pictures.

When I was in high school one of my favorite classes was photography. We not only took picture but learned how to develop them in a darkroom. Back then it was old school with the cameras. I owned a SLR with a removable lens so you could attach a larger lens to it. It also had a removable flash and a manual light meter and focus. It was difficult to take those quick spontaneous pictures but it was a lot of fun.

I still own that camera but in this day and age of digital photography it is quicker and easier to use a small digital camera. I would like to own a digital SLR some day with all the bells and whistles. If you are like me and enjoy taking pictures spend some time this weekend taking photos. The nice thing is you no longer need to wait and get your pictures developed. Just take out the SD card and download them onto your computer or on to a disk.

I have always enjoyed taking pictures of landscape and beautiful scenery. Some people enjoy photos of people, family and friends. My daughter loves taking pictures of animals especially her dog. I think we have more pictures of her dog than we have of her little brother.

Whatever your specialty is get out and enjoy taking pictures. It is a great memory of places you have been and people you have seen.

Here is a picture I took last fall up at Grand View Lodge in Northern Minnesota. That's right it is a picture of scenery but it helps me remember the beauty of up north. It also reminds me of the golf you can play up there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...