Skip to main content

It's All About The Suit

Appearance can be an important part of leadership. Appearance is also an important part of being a superhero. Most superheroes have a costume of some sort that hides their identity. As the superhero goes around the city fighting crime and saving lives they want to do it anonymously so they wear a suit of some sort.

Tony Stark as Iron Man had a great suit to wear when he was Iron Man but he didn't just wear the suit to hide his identity he also wore the suit because it saved his life. He found that not only did it save his life but it gave him the power he needed to fight evil.

In the 21st century leaders don't always wear suits. It used to be that leaders of companies could be seen wearing a suit everyday to work. Now days it is business casual unless there is an important meeting. The way a leader dresses is very important to the well being of the leader. It could essentially save their life but it also is about perception.

Just like Tony Stark who became a different person when he became Iron man a leader can put on a front and be a different person depending on what they are wearing. It is important to make sure leaders are being honest and presenting themselves professionally. In Iron man 2 Tony Stark began to exploit his Iron Man suit. People began to dislike him because of it and it hurt his image.

Here are some things you can do as a leader to make sure your image isn't tarnished.

  • When representing your company represent with Integrity.
  • Remember character is how you behave when no one is watching.
  • Be honest in all of your dealings.
  • Be neat and clean.
  • Communicate clearly and be articulate.

Your suit or clothes may not save your physical life but the way you present yourself could save your leadership life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...