Skip to main content

Opportunities Knocking

Once you become a leader opportunities will present themselves to you. Opportunities to share your expertise in your area of knowledge. Opportunities to make sure your company is shown in a positive light. Opportunities to be a leader among your peers.

Have you ever been asked to speak at a conference or a workshop? If you have were you prepared? Did your company allow you to speak? Is speaking a passion of yours or do you feel like a fish out of water when you are in front of a group?

I often hear people who are offered speaking engagements yet they are horrible speakers. They use too many filler words and their voice is boring. They are offered those roles because of the position they hold, that doesn't mean they are good speakers. Leaders need to recognize their strengths and tap into them. If speaking isn't one seek help before accepting a speaking engagement.

Here is a list of things you should do before you accept any speaking engagement.

  • Make sure you have experience being a public speaker. Toastmasters is a great organization that will help you be prepared to speak.  Toastmasters International
  • Make sure you know your topic. Don't accept a speaking engagement if they are speaking about finances but your area of expertise is marketing.
  • Make sure you get buy in from your boss. It is nice if you are your own boss then you can accept the speaking engagements that best fit your skills.
  • Don't be afraid to say no. You don't have to accept everyone that comes your way. Some may not be a good fit and you attending will be worse than saying no.
  • Research the organization you will be speaking at. I spoke at a rotary, before hand I read about their group so I could tailor my speech toward the specifics of their group.


Please for the sake of your audience come prepared to be a dynamic speaker if offered an opportunity to speak. Practice, do your homework and enjoy the time you have to share your knowledge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...