Skip to main content

Balloon Ride

Have you ever taken a hot air balloon ride? I haven't but I hear you can see for miles on clear days and it is a fun and exhilarating experience. I would like to tell you about two leadership styles that I came up with based on the following story. This story is not my own I found it on-line and unfortunately I do not remember where I found it.

I took a hot air balloon ride and there I was floating over the landscape and enjoying the scenery when I realized I was lost.

Fortunately I saw a man on the ground so I reduced my height so I could speak to him. I got closer to him and I shout

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man on the ground replies "You're in a hot air balloon hovering thirty feet above this field."

"You must work in Information Technology." I reply back to him.

"I do," says the man "How did you know?"

"Well," I said back, "everything you told me is technically correct, but it's no use to anyone."

"You must be in business," said the man.

I told him I was and I asked him how he knew.

"Well," says the man, "You don't know where you are, you don't know where you're going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in the same position you were before we met but now it's my fault."

I like to call these two styles the Balloonist and grounded style of leadership. Both are not the best kind of leadership styles. The balloonist style is the type of leader who is lost and doesn't know what to do. They have no direction or vision and instead of accepting the blame they look for someone else to blame.

The grounded leader is the type of leader who knows a lot of useless information. They don't really offer any information that helps the business grow or helps the workers grow. Instead they spout information and making it look like they know everything.

If you are one of these types of leaders or know someone who is find a better leadership style because these styles will drive people away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...