Skip to main content

Hobbies

Life is not just about leadership. You can't make leadership your life. Leaders need time to relax and renew and the weekends are your opportunity to do so. Over the past several weekends we have looked at enjoying the arts, music, sports, and family time. This weekend we are going to look at hobbies. What hobbies do you like to do?

There are a number of things you can do that constitute a hobby. I probably won't be able to cover all of them over the next two days but we will revisit this topic some other weekend. Here is a list of just some of the hobbies you could enjoy each weekend. Find your hobby and embrace it this weekend as a release to all of your leadership duties.

  • Hunting & Fishing
  • Outdoors - Walking, jogging, camping, and backpacking
  • Collecting - Stamps, coins, cards or antiques
  • Gardening
  • Scrap booking
  • Cooking
Where I live it is fashionable this time of year to drill a hole in the ice and fish to your hearts content. If this is your hobby (ice fishing)you can head out on the ice and spend hours relaxing and pulling fish from your favorite lake. Many people who ice fish have elaborate houses that they put on the ice for fishing. Many have televisions, refrigerators, bunk beds and of course holes in the floor for fishing through.

This winter has been mild here in Minnesota so there has not been a long period of time for ice fishing. It is however a great escape from the rat race of leadership. It is a great opportunity to get away from it all and enjoy something you love. You might love leadership but it is an alternative to the role of leadership.

This weekend drop a line in the water and relax with some fishing and escape from your leader responsibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...