Skip to main content

Surrounding Yourself

Thank you for allowing me a respite yesterday as I was much under the weather. Sometimes the leadership game can knock you out for a round or two. It will not knock you out permanently. Especially if you follow quality leadership practices.

Growth and leadership go hand and hand. Without growth leaders do have the potential to be permanently knocked out of the game. We have looked at communication through being actively involved in a group like Toastmasters to grow your communication skills as a leader. We looked at mentoring and being mentored as another way to continue to grow as a leader.

Today we are going to look at an unusual way to help you as a leader grow. That is to surround yourself with capable and aspiring followers. If the leader can hire quality workers. Then train and encourage those workers to be the best that they can be. Doing this will help produce future leaders and will help you grow as a leader.

It will help you grow because it will show others that you can help grow other leaders. If you as a leader can grow more leaders you will make the company stronger. It will go a long way in showing others that you have what it takes to take leadership to the next level.

Here are some things to look for to help surround yourself with the right people.

  • Hire those with the right skill set or a passion for the job.
  • Allow your employees to learn all they can about what they do.
  • Provide them with all the training necessary.
  • Give them tasks to show their leadership skills.
  • Encourage, encourage and encourage!

I wishh you all the best growing those future leaders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...