Skip to main content

Growing Pleasure

It is the weekend again and time to take a respite from your leadership responsibilities and relax. Relax so you can refresh and be ready for another gruelling week of leadership again.

Last week we looked at Hobbies and activities you might like to do that releive the stress of your leadership role. This weekend we are going to continue with the themee of hobbies and for today we are going to stay outside.

How many of you love to garden or do yard work? I know it is still winter and in Minnesota where I live you can't do too much yard work this time of year. Spring is just around the corner and it is time to start thinking about your garden and your yard.

I love planting and watching things grow but I do not like the weeding portion of gardening. I also like determining what I want to plant and making sure I have everything I need to plant and grow those flowers or vegtables. I really enjoy mowing my lawn. It is a big lawn and takes a while but the rewards for the look afterward are well worth it. When I am done I relax on a chair in my yard drinking an ice cold ice tea and enjoying the sounds of summer.

Gardening can also be very relaxing. Tilling up the soil and planting a seed and then watering the seed. Waiting for it to sprout and produce the plan that you desire is also very fulfilling. Many people won't just plant a seed but a seedling to get a head start on the growth of the plant. This is similar to leadership when you are responsible for employees you like to till their soil, plant that seed of leadership in them and watch the leadership grow.

Get your garden ready this weekend by laying out what you want to plant and where you are planting them. If you can't get outside yet read some books on gardening and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...