Skip to main content

Growing Up

There are many people who believe that to be a leader you have to do all of your growing before you become a leader. That is how you become a leader you learn the tools of the trade and then you get the big break and become a leader.

There is the saying "grow or die". When it comes to our learning or education it is important to grow and learn every single day. Even if you obtain that leadership role you have always wanted it is not time to sit back and relax. If you don't grow in that role you will die.

What we are going to look at over the next several days is ways that a leader can grow. Things you can do as a leader that will help you grow in your role.

An organization I am involved with is Toastmasters. I have been for six years and it has helped me grow as a leader. A key part to being a good leader is being a good communicator and listener. Toastmasters can help with all those areas.

What are some benefits of Toastmasters: These apply to current and future leaders,
  • Become a great communicator/speaker so you can communicate clearly and engage your followers.
  • Become a great listener so you can hear the needs of your followers and you can respond with industry trends and changes.
  • Opportunity to lead in other areas and help grow your leadership influence by gaining respect in leadership from others.
I am passionate about the importance of Toastmasters and will at some point write more about the important aspects of Toastmasters.

I have a link on this blog site to Toastmasters International check it out and join a club near you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...