Skip to main content

Pay It Forward

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to spend the morning in a 4th grade classroom teaching the 4th graders about business. I participated in JA (Junior Achievement) in a Day. This is a day many of the people from the company I work at spends the morning in a local elementary teaching kids about business.

The teacher really appreciates the program because it is skills and ideas that she is unable to teach because of time constraints.

Another way that a leader can grow is to pay it forward, Be a philanthropist in all that you have. Not necessarily money but also your skills and knowledge. Share with the future generations everything you have learned and you can already start to influence the future leaders.

If you can donate money to worthy causes then please do so. It is another great way to support the issues you care about. Maybe you have a passion for the United Way, get involved in their donation campaign at your company. If they don't have one then this is your opportunity to grow as a leader and start one. Maybe you prefer something outside of work. Heart association, breast cancer awareness, als, ms, the list could go on for ever, find one that fits your liking and get involved.

You might prefer a faith based organization, your church or something else that fits your faith. You can get involved with those as well.

Regardless of what you want to get involved with I suggest you do so because it will help you grow as a leader and it will help you flex those servant leader muscles. Get ready for a volunteer workout and pay it forward to others.

If you are interested on this blog page I have an opportunity for those who read my blog to donate to the American Diabetes Association. It is a way for you to get the ball rolling. It is a way that I can also participate by throwing my support behind something that has affected my family. If you feel like it I suggest you donate by clicking on the donate section on my blog page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...