Skip to main content

Vision Quest

Leadership requires vision but you can't keep the vision to yourself. A good leader is able to clearly convey their vision to their followers. The vision must also be relevant. Followers want to follow a leader who can give them a vision they can buy into. It can't just be a vision for the leader but the whole team.

Many companies have a vision and a mission and usually that vision and mission is displayed to everyone in the company. If you are a leader of a department within that company does your department have a vision? Have you let your people know what that vision is?

Here are some things to do that will help you as a leader create and convey your vision for your company or department.

  • Have a vision creation session. - This will allow everyone to have a say in the vision.
  • Let the department or the company create the vision. - They will have ownership of the vision if they can create it.
  • Once created display it for all to see. - Everyone needs to see it so they can make their job relevant to the vision.
  • Announce it and use it on your letterhead. - Making it visual everywhere is a great reminder.
  • Make a big PR deal of the vision. - Announcing  to the public will help them to catch the vision. This really helps if you are also a company that markets to the public.
Go out and create that vision. You may already say that your company has one maybe it is time to re-evaluate that vision. Is it still relevant? Make sure everyone is involved in the vision and that they know what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...