Skip to main content

Leadership Legacy

Being a leader can be a difficult position to be in. A leader is someone who others look toward for vision, direction and of course leadership.

How do you do as a leader who conveys a vision that others can get behind and follow?

How are you at giving direction? Do you micromanage or do you allow your followers some independence?

How do you do at leading? How do you show your followers the way to success?

Over the next several days we are going to examine ways to step up ways to tweak and convey your vision to your followers. We will also look at ways to give direction to your followers while empowering them to reach their goals. We will also look at ways to lead while showing your followers how to be successful.

Today we are going to look at the one thing that will tie them all together. It is a legacy, you don't just want to be in a leadership position without making an impact and leaving a legacy. A legacy is something others will remember you by. You want to leave them with something so after you are gone others will say remember what so-and-so did. What do you want your followers or company to remember you by.

I am currently serving as the Area 21 Governor in District 6 Toastmasters. I said to myself when I took over for this year that I wanted to do something different. Sure it might have been done before and in other areas but I decided I would create a quarterly newsletter that highlights accomplishments from each club in the area.

My challenge to you is to find something you can do that will leave a legacy of your leadership role. Leave a comment and let me know what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...