Skip to main content

Driving Americana


Have you ever reminisced about your first car? Have you ever dreamed about owning a car from a bygone era? What is it about those cars that make them so appealing?
One of the many Festivals you can find in almost any community throughout the United States is a classic car show. Not always a festival but a great time to enjoy looking at some great looking cars. Some of these classic car shows are held in parking lots of local establishments. In fact a few years ago I took my family to Culvers in Anoka Minnesota and there in the parking lot were 20-25 classic cars that you could stroll by and look at. You even got to talk to the owners of those cars.
Classic cars are an interesting phenomenon. You buy a new car and the value decreases the more you drive. If you can keep that car in pristine condition and even restore part of it you can increase the value after a number of years.
A 1970  skylark (not mine but similar)
If I still had my first car in mint condition it would be bordering on classic car. My first car was a 1970 Buick Skylark muscle car with pinstripe detailing on the body.  Soon I will be able to go to a classic car show and start to see those early 70s cars.
Most of those classic car shows have 50s and 60s cars. My all time favorite is a car that was made before I was alive. My dream car is a 57 Chevy convertible. I love to see those and dream of myself behind the wheel of one of those. Why I have a love affair with a car older than me in beyond comprehension.
I believe the true reason people love the classic car shows and love learning and enjoying those cars is for the stories. The stories that each car can tell gives us a bit of Americana, a bit of the life stories of those who drove it. That is what draws us in. It is the speculation and the mystique of those stories. The stories I could tell about my 70 Skylark, those crazy things you do as a teen, and the trips it took. Like the time I had 19 people in it or the time I drove backwards for 11 blocks on the streets of Minneapolis.
This summer, this weekend, go to a classic car show. Find out the stories, enjoy the history imagine yourself behind the wheel being a leader in the world of leisureship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...