Skip to main content

Fleas in your Garage

How many of you love to go treasure hunting? How many of you love to go bargain hunting? Or maybe you like to make a little money. A great way to find those treasures and those bargains is to attend a garage sale or a flea market. A way to make money is to hold one yourself or sell you wares at a flea market.

Craft sales, garage sales and flea markets abound during the weekends. You can’t drive down a street without seeing a garage sale sign. The trick is to find the garage sale with the hidden treasure. My wife’s aunt seems to have a knack for finding garage sales that have great items.  Who knows you may even find a hidden treasure that you can take to Antique Road Show or Pawn Stars and get some serious cash.
I enjoy going to flea markets and garage sales but I don’t go to near enough that I would like to. You have to set aside almost a full morning on a Saturday to hit as many that you would like so it makes it worth your while. The best time to go is on a Thursday morning but for those of us who work that requires a day off.
Holding a garage sale is a different animal altogether. It requires gathering up all of your stuff and pricing it. Then you have to spend hours for three days sitting in your garage as the customers come in to try and get you to reduce your price on a 50 cent item to 25 cents. Really, they can’t afford the 25 cents. It isn’t worth the headache for me to hold a garage sale so we donate our items but we do sell some of the bigger items on an individual basis.
Seek out a garage sale or a flea market this weekend and find a treasure for the one you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...