Skip to main content

The Lawn

Are you one of those people who mow their lawn every two days? Maybe one of your neighbors is that person. I have mowed my lawn twice this year. Pretty scary! I actually enjoy mowing my lawn but I can't really do it in an evening after work. It takes too long and we have a lot of family commitments to attend to. The weekends this season have been wrought with rain so I have only mowed twice.

I think my neighbors were starting to talk but I got it done today. I enjoy the smell of new mowed lawn and I love relaxing afterward in a chair in the yard admiring the finished lawn.

It is a great escape for people to spend their weekend manicuring their lawn and making sure it looks just right. My lawn isn't the best kept, I don't have it professionally sprayed or professionally manicured. However, when it is mowed it looks nice and I like sitting in the yard.

I have a lot of trees in my yard so they create a canopy and nothing beats relaxing in a chair after mowing the lawn under the shade of the tree canopy. Leaders can sometimes find solace and relaxation in the little things. A nice lawn and a nice day in the yard is a welcome change from the sometimes wild  race of leadership.

Next time you are mowing your lawn take some time out to admire it and relax, drinking an ice tea or lemonade and enjoying the hard work of some manual labor. I know I do this every time I mow my lawn. Because I mow it less frequently it is less of a chore and more of a pleasure. You might be one of those mowing it every two days try waiting a while you will find you appreciate it more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...