Skip to main content

Tough Decisions


One of the most difficult but important things a leader must do is to make those tough decisions. Sometimes those decisions will not sit well with some people other times the decision will be met with confrontation. Leaders need to be able to make those tough decisions and stand by those decisions. An example is making a decision to downsize and having to let people go. I have been involved in a number of company buyouts where the company I worked for was purchased and a majority of us were let go. It is a tough decision for those companies to make and the employees are always upset.
Another example is the decision you might make as a parent to move your family. Uproot them to a different location. It never sits well with the kids especially if they are teenagers. Just like companies downsize this tough decision has to be made and people have to live with it. What can you do as a leader to make sure those affected by your decision can make the transition smoothly? Here are some ideas that will help you be the leader who not only makes the tough decisions but helps those affected deal with the tough decision.
  • Communicate – Let them know well in advance of your intent and don’t downplay what can happen. In one of the company downsize that I was a part of we were told everything will be fine no one will lose their job. They needed to communicate better.
  • Compensate – Give the people good compensation a good severance package is always nice and helps soften the blow. As for your kids if you are moving let them have a say in rooms etc.. you can compensate them in ways that will help soften the blow for them.
  • Coordinate – Give everyone an opportunity to express their opinion but also give them the tools necessary to help them make that transition. For your employees it should be the availability for them to find a job. There are many companies out there who help people in transition to make it go smoothly. If you coordinate this for them they will know you care about them and it isn’t just about the bottom line.

Use these three Cs to help those affected by your tough decision make the transition smoothly and without incident. It isn’t easy to make that decision but you aren’t the only one it is tough on. Be a people leader and Communicate, compensate and coordinate those you are influencing with your decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...